Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

Sublime Bamboo/Silk Yarn Review

I received a couple of orders of yarn last week, and overall I am very pleased with what I purchased. The first yarn I pulled out was a bamboo/silk blend by Sublime. I had never heard of this company before shopping on DBNY.com, but I am so glad I took a chance on it! I decided to try a lacy spring shawl on my infinity loom, in the Key Lime colorway. The feel and texture is similar to that of Yarn Bee Hint of Silk, however I don't think that Sublime Bamboo/Silk blend is as prone to fraying as much as Hint of Silk is. The Sublime Bamboo/Silk blend is prone to splitting thought; I have to keep an eye out or I will lose threads. If you are loom knitting, be careful because it is easy to not remove all of the yarn from a peg because it is so soft and smooth.

The Sublime Yarn Company was started in 2006, and they strive to produce only the best in luxurious natural fibers in beautiful soft colors. Their website also has a lot of designs for knitting and crochet, but of course, not loom knitting. You cannot purchase yarn directly from the site; as I said, I got mine from DBNY.com.

My initial impressions of the yarn suggest that it will give a lovely sheen and drape to any project you choose to use it for. With this Key Lime color, it will be perfect to wear through spring and summer, since it is a bamboo/silk blend. I know it seems a bit early to be considering things to knit and wear for summer, but the Spring Equinox in is March, and April will be here before we know it. Typical of bamboo and silk yarns, I wouldn't suggest using it for anything that requires a good yarn memory, like anything with cuffs and such. A cotton silk might be better for that. If you were planning a long sleeve top that doesn't need to be snug, you could definitely still use this yarn for that, as long as you planned for a relaxed fit.

I will, of course, do a separate post for the spring shawl, but it is going to take me awhile to finish. I bought 4 balls of the Sublime Key Lime, so hopefully it is enough. On my infinity loom, I cast on 60 pegs (classic knit cast on), did 3 rows of garter stitch (6 rows altogether), and then started my lace pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment