Pages

Friday, December 16, 2016

Lace Stitch Loom Knit Legwarmers

It has been a long time since I have written anything for my blog! To be honest, once the baby was born, I didn’t pick any of my knitting back up for a long time. The weather turned colder however, and my boys wanted me to knit hats for them again this year. Once I picked my one of my round looms to make a couple of hats, I decided to finish the 10 stitch blanket I had been languishing over for more than a year. Once I completed that project, I used some Hometown USA yarn I found on sale at WalMart ($2.49 a ball!) to knit myself a pair of leg warmers.

Those leg warmers are what I want to write to you about today. I didn’t want to only knit in knit stitch; I wanted to do something interesting. Small projects are a great way to practice or learn new techniques, and I have quite a few that need dusting off. So I decided to look up loom lace patterns. Sadly, I didn’t find too many. Keep in mind, when I say “lace”, I am referring to the pattern, not the yarn weight.

After reading through a couple of patterns, I could see that one of the primary ways to get a see through pattern was through Yarn Overs (YO), Slip Slip Knits (ssk), Knit 2 Together (k2tog), and Purl 2 Together (p2tog). I plotted out my design, and decided to see how a lace style pattern would turn out with a super chunky yarn on my 24 peg blue large gauge loom.

I did a chain cast on, and then 8 rows of 2x2 ribbing. My lace pattern is based on garter stitch, with all of the YO, ssk, k2tog, etc. thrown in. Take a look:


Pattern completed in multiples of 6 stitches.

Cast on: Chain cast on
Row 1-8: k2, p2* until done with row 8
Row 9: YO, ssk, YO, ssk, k2* repeat to the end of the row
Row 10: p2tog, YO, p2tog, YO, p2* repeat to the end of the row
Repeat rows 9 & 10 until you have 30-35 rows. (I did 30)
Do 8 more rows of 2x2 ribbed stitch.

Cast off: Double Crochet Cast Off LOOSELY, or else it might be too snug around your calf.


If you wanted to make these legwarmers for someone with bigger calves (mine are about 13.5" around), use a large gauge 31 peg round loom (next loom size up out of the usual 4 pack). Change the last repeat of row 9 to :YO, ssk, YO, ssk, k3*, and change the last repeat of row 10 to: p2tog, YO, p2tog, YO, p3*.

My legwarmers look great! I plan on trying this pattern again with a bulky (size 5) yarn to see how it turns out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment