Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Textured Loom Knit Baby Sweater

So I have made a couple baby sweaters for my baby to be following a very simple pattern provided by Ruth Volk on Ravelry. When I started my third one, I was admittedly getting a little bored, so I have decided to tweak the pattern to make it more interesting to knit as well as more visually interesting.

Deviating from the pattern, I cast on 26 pegs. I slipped the first stitch of every row, and half stitched the last stitch of every row. The original pattern does not call for this, but I think this may make seaming the pieces together easier because the edge of each piece will be so neat.

My next deviation is my addition of purl rows to add texture. So following the cast on I did:

R1-4: E-wrap knit
R5: Purl
R6: Purl

I repeated this pattern, stopping on a knit row at 34 rows. The original pattern calls for 34 rows, and the addition of the purl rows will probably shorten my sweater's length. I think after blocking though, it won't really matter too much, since the sweater is for a newborn.

For each front piece, I cast on 14 stitches, and followed the same pattern as I did for the back. Once both front pieces were complete, I seamed the front pieces to the back for 7 stitches on each side.

I crocheted a single chain border all around the edges once I was done, creating button loops as I went, as the original pattern suggested. I am very pleased with this baby sweater; it is the best one I have made so far!

Textured Baby Sweater


No comments:

Post a Comment